One main purpose of this month-long trip was to experience parts of Europe that we hadn't seen before, but ... even so,
we had to go back to Paris. We spent four nights there, which was not long enough, but it was all good.
The view of Paris from the window of our hotel room on rue Monsieur-le-Prince (the Hotel Le Clos Medicis).
A couple hundred feet from our hotel was this typical large Paris intersection of two wide avenues, lined
by the ubiquitous 7-story buildings with wrought iron balconies. In this case, one corner (on the right)
was the edge of the large and well-tended Jardin du Luxembourg. Anne is in the lower right corner.
In the center, running south into the distance, is the Boulevard Saint-Michel.
Walk north along the Boulevard Saint-Michel for about a mile and you arrive on a bridge,
the Pont Saint-Michel, with this view of the Cathedral of Notre Dame.
The nave of Notre Dame, with the organ and west rose window over the main entrance.
The massive and beautiful rose window in the south transept.
A small part of the excavated Roman ruins underneath the plaza in front of Notre Dame.
At the top of this picture, in the background, you can see the computer screens which provide
an interactive history of the development of Paris from the Roman city of Lutetia to the present.
Not far from Notre Dame, in the royal courtyard on the Île de la Cité, is the Sainte-Chapelle,
a small extraordinarily beautiful church commissioned by King Louis IX and completed in 1248.
We attended an evening concert of Vivaldi's Four Seasons here. The acoustics proved to be as
good as the windows.
The very ornate side chapels in the Cathedral Saint Eustache on the right bank.
Construction on Eustache was begun in 1180, about the same time as Notre Dame, but
was finished much sooner, and it was for a time the church used by the royal family.
Louis XIV received communion here, and Mozart chose the church for his mother's funeral
(perhaps because it has the largest pipe organ in France?).
Also very ornate, a wooden decorative counter on one side of the nave in Saint Eustache.
Eglise Saint Augustin, an oddly shaped basilica made to fit on a triangular block along the
Boulevard Malesherbes on the right bank. This church was built between 1860 and 1868
and has the distinction of being one of the first large-size Paris buildings with a metal frame.
The pictures of this trip are divided into several sets: